Saturday, November 29, 2014

Carmen Lomas Garza

Carmen Lomas Garza’s piece Quinceañera is one of my favorite works of hers. I loved this piece because I was able to be a participant in my friends Quince when I was in high school. The work shows the tradition event with the family gathering for her arrival at the church. I loved to comic relief Garza offered in the work by showing the kids running around being mischievous and the rest of her family members preparing for this important event. I liked to reference to Mexican American culture with the cool low rider car. 
It was a very new experience for me to participate in a Quinceañera. We had to learn a dance and attend many ceremonies with my friend’s family. It was very fun to be able to participate in such an important event that I would never be able to experience in my own culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment