Saturday, November 29, 2014

Carmen Lomaz Garza painting: Curandera

The painting of the Curandera by Carmen Lomaz Garza was by far the most intriguing and family oriented. She turned a medicinal practice into a family event in support of the young daughter. She creates a holistic atmosphere in comparison to the usual one on one with a physician of which is not common in the Latino community. In the Latino community in my experiences involve my mother and my sister or at least my mother coming to the doctors office with me. This does not mean that the family may be over involved, but instead showing their support in helping that specific family member. It then becomes a holistic and religious event when it involves a Curandera. In my family my aunt was always the Curandera and in addition to the medicinal aspect of this painting, it reminded me of my own family healing events. Similar to the painting it was also a religious event in that there was prayer after the healing event as well. However, we did not hold those persons who were known as the Curanderos to a higher standard because of their medicinal practices. Although we would look to that person for their medical expertise it was always good to visit the doctor in addition to their recommendations. I truly enjoy looking at this picture and can already smell the incense my aunt would burn and the medicinal herbs she would mix with rubbing alcohol in addition to vix to heal the children in the family when we needed it. The different colors and the religious cross also provide a comfortable and safe feeling performing this event in that person's own home. I would love to see more of her painting with this medical and holistic perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment