Sunday, November 9, 2014

Dia de los Muertos in Grand Park (Extra Credit)

I attended Grand Park's Dia de los Muertos event in Downtown Los Angeles because my cousin Ben Botello was asked to do an art piece there. It was featured amongst many other artworks as well as sugar skull artwork and altars. I also attended to honor my loved ones para los muertos. I decided to paint my face fully during this event. I have been honoring this tradition for most of my life with my family and it was nice to get some compliments from many strangers who were also doing face paint. I even was asked to be in some people's pictures (which I thought was kind of silly) I was kind of offended when I saw white people doing face paint. It was great that they wanted to be part of this event but I'm not sure that they understood what this tradition really means. Dia de los Muertos is a deeply religious and emotional ceremonial custom that has its roots in Mexico even before Spanish colonization. Dia de los Muertos is a time to honor, celebrate, and grieve over loved ones who have passed. It is both intimate and communal and has a ton of cultural significance. When I saw people who were not from the Latino community doing face painting, I felt that it was out of the context and very disrespectful seeing as this was just an opportunity for a picture. It isn't a fashion trend or a costume.



Benjamin Botello, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment