Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Extra Credit: SPARC Dia de los Muertos

This past Saturday I attended the ceremony organized by Martha Ramirez's Dia de los Muertos class with my friend Gabriel at SPARC (Social and Public Art Resource Center) on Venice Blvd. I was filled with excitement on my way to the center because I've always wanted to see the place in person. Everything I knew about SPARC was through word and it fascinated me how a physical place held so much history.



My initial reaction to the space was wonder and admiration at the powerful images painted on the walls and the altar set up outside. I felt an instant connection to the space which amazed me. Partly due to Martha Ramirez's presence that brought peace to my life with the words she breathed in celebration of this day. I had the pleasure of meeting her and found out that she knew my close friend Arturo who has been a mentor on my journey to becoming a healer.



I wandered off on my own and found the altars set up by my peers in the Dia de los Muertos class. Pictures, bread, fruit, marigold flowers, decorative paper, candles, and special items were purposely placed to remember and celebrate the passing of loved ones. My friend Gabriel took me to the altar he organized with two other peers and told me about the passing of his best friend. We talked about death and its impact on our lives. I took the time to remember my grandfather and uncles who passed away. As I was speaking about them I realized they never died. Instead, they continue to live in my memory and remind me to live life to the fullest. The event was a great reminder to stay balanced and continue to appreciate the little things in life like the color on the walls.



No comments:

Post a Comment