Sunday, November 30, 2014

Letter to Shizu Saldamando

Hi Ms. Saldamando,
My name is Alicia Billalobos; I am a senior at UCLA majoring in Chicana/o Studies with a minor in education and an intern at the Stanley Mosk Superior Courthouse.  I chose to explore and present your artwork because I had heard your name from a friend whom you tattooed.  Your detailed skills on portraiture really caught my eye and taking an art class where I had the opportunity to explore an artist presented a perfect opportunity to get to know you as a professional figure.  The use of realism and simple mediums of art used in your work interest me because I felt a sense of understanding of the art although I have never studied art.  As I replayed interviews and presentations, where you talked about your intent to create art that is interactive with the viewer I felt validated.  Your drawing selection that includes Backyard Hardcore is my favorite because you depict the underground punk scene that is often invisible to many. Growing up in Boyle Heights, I was involved in underground music scenes that where never part of anything else besides the late night gigs that where forgotten after a drunken night.  When I saw your drawing work depicting that memory combined with your intention to make art about the audience instead of the artist itself, a genuine respect grew for your work.  I know you are now working at an East Los Angeles tattoo parlor and hope to stop by soon to get some ink on my back.  I appreciate your effort to acknowledge the simple artistic means and experiences of everyday people because it creates a dialogical interaction to the purpose and roles of artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment