Friday, November 14, 2014

Response to Ashley Uvina on Carlee Fernandez

In response to Ashley on her post about Carlee Fernandez, I agree with her on Carlee’s statement that she is a Chicana but does not create Chicano art. I agree that Carlee’s Chicano roots became a new segment added to her life when she was finally beginning to have a relationship with her father. As a result, she didn’t feel connected in her Chicano roots to be proclaimed in Chicano artistry. I think Carlee’s points are valid in that everyone makes art for whatever reasons that is important to them. Who are we to justify any artist and say that should create their work in a certain way? That is why art is art! It is meant to confuse, start conversations, and create a space for people that don’t fit the “norm” of their cultures. Carlee’s struggles with identity are one that I believe we all face within ourselves. I found it courageous for Carlee to admit her disconnects to her Chicano roots and her strives to create works to reconnect to her past.


I feel in many ways I can connect to Carlee's struggle with identity in that my own African history is still unknown to me. I have traced back my family lineage to my great- great grandparents who were slaves in Georgia, but I always wonder where my family was before. I know there is an answer but there is also now a bigger question. As a person of color, why is most of our history unknown to us? 

No comments:

Post a Comment