Friday, November 7, 2014

Week 5

I really enjoyed the presentation on Yreina Cervantez because her work incorporated the aspects of culture and digging in her roots in order to find her inspiration. I was very happy to know that her work was featured in the Fowler Museum because it is one of my favorite museums and overall favorite places to be. Yreina's artistic spirit and beliefs that more women should be in the field of art made me inspired because I too believe that it is a male dominated field. Women should be able to have the opportunity to express themselves and have a means of coping with a society that sees them as inferior. I believe art of any kind is a true spiritual and healing mechanism for women of color especially to gain power for themselves and I believe that Yreina is the perfect image for that.

I really enjoyed the pieces that were shown in class that Yreina painted. My favorite was the painting of Frida pregnant with twins. I thought it was beautiful that she painted her idol in the most beautiful light and giving her the thing she wanted the most, which was children. I loved how beautiful Frida looked and how Yreina incorporated the aspects culture with the Jaguar. The fact that the artist put her own face in the mirror that Frida holds in her hand shows her love for the fellow artist and her devotion to her own art and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment