Saturday, November 29, 2014

Week 8: Carmen Lomas Garza


My favorite piece from Carmen Lomas Garza is the painting called The Blessing on Wedding Day. This image shows family togetherness and women bonding. I really like how in class we were discussing how it could possibly be foreshadowing the little girls future because there are so many women of different age groups in the photo. This image brought me happiness because it showed the perks of growing up in a big close family. This image reminded me of the time that my cousin married her husband. All of the girls including my aunts and cousins were in the room helping the bride get ready. While they were helping her get ready my mom was fixing my youngest cousin's hair and I feel like this image is brought to life. I have always been about family. While growing up my cousins were like my siblings and when looking at this image I feel like depicts my family and other people's families as well. It shows the importance of family and how doing something, as simple as getting ready, can bring that extra special when you are surrounded by those who care most about. I love this image for its authentic feel. I see warmth, love, and happiness in this image. In general I do enjoy Carmen’s work because she incorporates the importance of family and friends. I like that she mainly focuses on the happy events such as birthdays, weddings, and quinceneras. Her images are taken “in the moment” like the bride getting ready or in quincenera running late.  She allows her audience to feel like they are watching this event take place and that is also why I love her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment