Saturday, November 29, 2014

Week 8: On Carmen Lomas Garza

The Carmen Lomas Garza piece that most resonated with me was The Bed for Two Dreams. I think this piece carries the a lot of complexity and should be analyzed from multiple angles. For one thing I do want to comment on the concept of framing. I think it is interesting the the mother figure is framed with the windows, while she is performing domestic work. I think that speaks to the restrictions that are placed on Chicanas, that the home serves as a prison based on race, gender, and class. Meanwhile the two girls that are on the roof are not bound dream of the infinite opportunities not bound by anything and dreaming of everything. Although I do want to comment that domestic work is not bad or worthless than any other kind of labor, I do want to relate this to my experiences in pursuing art and a career in creative fields.
Being the son of immigrants art is never encouraged as a viable career option. We are always pushed towards more practical careers like in the medical or law fields respectively. So I understand this dissonance between our dreams and the expectations our parents have on us. My parents were concerned with putting food and a roof over heads, so there was no time or space to be thinking about impractical things like art.
So that is why I really appreciate this piece, It is telling me that despite what my trajectory in life might be, I am allowed to dream and to be whoever I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment