Saturday, December 6, 2014

Printmakers




In the article by Holly Barnett-Sanchez it is about Chicana printmakers and how printmaking was a huge part of El Movimiento in the 1960’s. Printmaking was a way to connect beyond the local. The fact that this medium was used in forms of posters and cards to be passed around asserting the movement. It was a way to demand their space with the art scene. The printmaker I really liked was Barbara Carrasco who made the print of Dolores Huerta. The fact she wanted to make a piece that showed how powerful yet feminine Huerta was is what made me attracted to her work. She used the color rose to represent her feminine side, yellow to show her radiance of happiness, and mint to show the color of plants since she was working with agriculture. Carrasco got to personally know Huerta, which I found amazing. I also loved how she gave Huerta recognition for I feel everyone focuses on Chavez.

1 comment:

  1. Dolores Huerta is definitely a living icon to show how strong Chicanas can be. I believe that the Chicano movimiento did have some machismo in it but for the most part was open to Chicanas to become self empowered and take action. Dolores Huerta definitely proves my thought.

    ReplyDelete