Saturday, October 31, 2015


I chose the image of a marigold to make a stencil for my sketchbook. About five years ago I started becoming interested in gardening, around the same time a local non-profit was turning an empty lot into a community garden. I was so excited to have the chance to work with them and be able to have my own little plot. Most of the other gardeners are older and know so much more about gardening because they grew up on farms all over Mexico and South/Central America and they are always willing to give me

gardening advice and trade veggies. Even though it is a tiny plot compared to the immense fields on which the food we buy is grown, being able to grow something and know where exactly it came from has been an incredible experience.
About two years ago I was also able to work with other community members to help start a Day of the Dead celebration in our local park. This year is the 3rd annual Day of the Dead celebration in Lennox, so I decided I wanted to grow my own marigolds to use for my altar. Unfortunately, I started growing them a little bit too late into the season and do not have as many marigolds as I’d like. It's definitely been a learning experience and next year I hope to use the flowers I've grown.   

No comments:

Post a Comment