Friday, October 23, 2015

Laura Alvarez "I'm with my Nanny"

I really enjoyed hearing from Laura Alvarez and the stories behind her works. The Double Agent Sirvienta and the Double Agent Jardinero were inspired by her parents' professions as well as her own life experiences. I agree with Laura that art should be very personal because it is our lived realities that shape our identities, passions, and worldviews. I chose her painting titled, "I'm with my Nanny", because it is a portrayal of Double Agent Sirvienta in action. I like her character of the Double Agent Sirvienta because it is valuing the job of a maid and showing that there is much more to a housekeeper than what is seen on the outside. They are not passive, invisible, voiceless women who take orders; they are heroic, strong, brave, and smart individuals. Also this image points to how common it is for white children to be raised by women of color who take on the role as their primary caregiver and in this case the baby is serving as her accomplice, throwing bombs as distractions as they run from danger. Also, I am not sure what the figure is on her apron but at first glance it reminded me of La Virgen de Guadalupe because of the pose she is in and the halo that surrounds her. Her work reimagines the role of the maid or day laborer far beyond their stereotypical portrayal in telenovelas, films, or the media and values the work that they do which often goes unnoticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment