Thursday, October 22, 2015

Transformation in the Garden
Laura Alvarez made me change the way I view a domestic worker. I like how she communicated that the character has evolved throughout time. As she presented and people began to ask questions I felt like she was thinking as she spoke. This allowed me to focus more on the presentation. The reason is because just by looking at the image all you can see is the colors and figures. But, she wants people to think more critically when looking at her images. It would have been hard for me to see this image and have a vivid imagination as the artist.  I like how her character was inspired by her mother and her childhood. As she mentioned, as a child she would dress up and go help her mother clean houses. But as an adult she is not the "housewife."Being a domestic worker is seen as a negative thing because of the definition that has been created by society. The basic characteristics of a worker is that it has to be a woman, unskilled worker, immigrant, and a mother. When I heard Laura speak about this particular image and explaining that the maid has a different role for being in the house it reminded me of Telenovelas. When you make a connection with the role of a maid in the real world you realize that these individuals could reveal truths that might tear families apart. But, these workers go do their job and gossip with family members when they get home. This shows that a maid is respectful and knows that it is better to pretend to not see or hear inappropriate behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment