Saturday, October 24, 2015

Laura Alvarez

"At the Park" by Laura Alvarez seems to be a crowd favorite. Others like that the art work shows a woman who can do multiple things, (even be a spy). With the stare this woman or otherwise known as a double agent spy many others have noted that there is a empowered feeling towards the view. Yet, I want to take it a step further and say she is almost saying "screw you", or maybe a very sassy "What do you want?". I feel like it has a sense of anger or maybe I am seeing it because behind her I see a woman resting just watching a child. It greatly contrasts what the maid in the picture is doing, the maid a multitasking spy is working with the child and handing out what seems to be flyers. To me it not just contrast the idea of women and what they are capable of but it also tells me that only certain types of women do this. It can be seen as good or bad. It can say that only Chicana women (or any Latina) are empowered or it can say that only Chicana women (again or any Latina) are forced to work as maids that's why they are good spy. I guess I'll leave it to you, I hope you let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment