Friday, October 23, 2015

Laura Alvarez

Laura Alvarez's work was really cool to see. I was able to relate to her childhood memories of cleaning houses with her mom and invading the privacy of the owners. As a child I would do the same but I really appreciated the spin she put on her story when she created her mother as a secret agent. I felt that was really empowering for her as a child. I remember feeling embarrassed as a child because my mom wasn't like the other parents in my school. What is most impressive is that her work is so extensive, I can't imagine working on the same project for 20 years. But it's so cool that she's made this documentary of her life and her family for 20 years through art. I'm so impressed by her commitment to the project and by her artistic ability. Not only does she make paintings but she writes songs, screenplays, makes clothes, and movies all surrounding her series. She's really made a brand out of her life and her art.

No comments:

Post a Comment