Saturday, October 31, 2015

Post 5: Stencil

For the cover of my art notebook I chose to make a stencil of a Monarch butterfly. To me the monarch butterfly represents change, migration, and growth. Each year thousands of monarch butterflies travel South to Mexico from the United States. These butterflies travel freely across borders without limitations and have two countries to call home. This represents my identity as a Chicana because I feel that I am neither from here, nor there and I too want to challenge borders and limitations. My father also recently bought me a plant that produces the caterpillars that transform into butterflies so this image reminds me of home and my family.  The stencil making process was most difficult with the small details and rounded edges, but it was overall a good learning experience.

1 comment:

  1. well said, those were great writing, it gave me much pleasure.
    You have a wonderful blog I can see. But do you ever think of a website? Where you can show your charms to the world? if you dont have one. than you can have your own domain name in a very good price. check out this site. www.domain.com.bd

    ReplyDelete