Saturday, October 31, 2015

Stencil



I chose an image that is very popular among many movements with in the Mexican community. The Eagle is a strong symbol of the America people, especially the indigenous cultures on this large continent. Growing up with Mexican and European blood I struggled to identify with both cultures. As I matured I discovered that being of mixed decent is not limiting, it is actually liberating and gives me the opportunity to explore all identities and create understanding and equality. As I began to learn more about Chicanos I started to volunteer with various organizations around Oxnard. Two years ago, I matched with Dolores Huerta and Cesar Chavez’s grandson through a historic route in Oxnard, Ca. With the UFW I filed legal paper work on behalf of many farmworkers seeking fair pay and working conditions. I like the idea of having this image on my cover page, because as I continue to learn and grow this will be my banner of change and discovery. As I view the other images people are selecting, I can see strong individual identities in this class. All the art work we have worked on has allowed me to respect the artists more. Their talent and skill is impressive and should be regarded as such. 

No comments:

Post a Comment