Thursday, November 5, 2015

Blog Post 6: Carmen Lomas Garza


I quite enjoyed learning about Carmen Lomas Garza and how she rose to becoming this well-known Chicana artist. There were really a ton of Lomas Garza's art pieces that really stood out to me for multiple reasons. For instance, Lomas Garza's art piece entitled Tito's Gig On the Moon, really stood out to me mainly because by this time technology had advanced and Lomas Garza utilized the new technologies, such as digital print, into her work.



Another piece by Carmen Lomas Garza that evoked a strong meaning to me was the art piece entitled Cama Para SueƱos. This piece really conveyed a positive and inspirational meaning to me. By all means, as noted throughout the book, Lomas Garza has produced an array of amazing work, however, this image in particular evokes this powerful connotation to me. This image in particular portrays two young girls sitting on top of the roof, while the mother figure can be seen through the window preparing the bed. As Cortez notes in the book, there are two beds depicted in the image, one being the actual bed inside the house, while the other being the roof. I really like how the author, Cortez, explains that the roof is the implied second bed in the image where the "...children gaze toward their future and its seemingly endless possibilities." I felt like I could identify and relate with this in particular because as a child I would sometimes hop onto the roof of my house and stare out into the distance. I truly felt like I was the one in the image; I feel like this is an art piece that many can relate to and find touching.   


No comments:

Post a Comment