Saturday, November 7, 2015

Carmen Lomas Garza is a bad ass



The Image I selected is Baile (1999) Clear coated copper cutout on powder-coated steel.


After looking through the blog I saw many of my favorites already selected. Baile, was impressive to me mostly because of the scale. This piece is 16ft x 24ft x 5in. As I mentioned in my paper, Garza’s work and mediums are so different it would be easy to assume it was the work of another very talented artist.


It has been a pleasure reading and studying the works of Carmen Lomas Garza. While everyone has been impressive, Garza's images relate to me and my life in a way the others do not. Maybe I am more conservative than I'd like to admit, or maybe family means a lot to me and her images remind me of the people I love the most. This is not to say that she is better or that the other work is controversial. I believe the contrast is what makes education and art so important. It also shows the wide range of talent and emotions of a strong Chicana community. I hope to see some of her works in person so I can truly appreciate them and share what  know with my family.  



No comments:

Post a Comment