Thursday, November 5, 2015

Carmen Lomas Garza

     My favorite image from Constance Cortez, Carmen Lomas Garza is on chapter three "A Tejana on the West Coast" and its titled Tamalada. Tamalda is an oil on linen mounted on wood and is 24x 32 inches. I really liked this image because it reminded me of my Christmas childhood memories. I remember when my family would come together and make tamales just like Garza's family. I also had the task of soaking the hojas or leaves in a tub of hot water just like Garza. Now my mother, sisters and I get together to prepare the tamales. I now have the task of spreading the masa or cornmeal dough onto the hojas which I really like. I also really like making tamales with my family even though it does take a long time to prepare them. I also chosed this image because Garza uses imagery to show others the process of how tamales are made. Cortez states that the father and his daughter by the doorway is another one of Garza's experiences or childhood memories. In this particular memory the mans position refers to how Garza's father would teach her family how to dance. I really like the idea of Garza showing us more than one of her childhood memories through her art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment