Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Extra Credit: Dia de Los Muertos @ SPARC


On Sunday, November 1st, I had the pleasure of attending a Día de Los Muertos event held at the Social and Public Art Resource Center, also known as SPARC. The event was put on by UCLA students and their professor, Martha Ramirez-Oropeza, who set up altars in order to commemorate their departed beloved ones. To make a long story short, the event was a reenactment of how people manifest Día de Los Muertos in Mexico. It started off essentially with a prayer; the students and professor sang a song and facing towards the north, “called out” the souls of their loved ones to come celebrate with them and eat food. After the prayer, we were welcomed to look at the beautiful altars and learn more about the preparation process, which was heartwarming to hear.  I am extremely glad I attended this event because it gave me the opportunity to learn about a tradition that was never practiced in my family, although my mother is Mexican. I learned that this festival is not the “Mexican Halloween” as some people refer to it rather, it is one of the most, if not the most, anticipated and important tradition in Mexico, especially rural areas, that celebrates and welcomes the dead (souls). Moreover, I believe my attendance was impactful because Sunday marked a year since my grandfather passed, so I think it was great that I was able to “call” his spirit and remember him in a peaceful and celebratory manner. I aspire to keep traditions like these alive.
 
 Outside while the professor (second person from the left) was singing a Nahuatl song and the students repeated after her (although unfortunately not captured in this photo).


An altar which remembered and commemorated those that disappeared in Mexico City. 
A look inside the well decorated and vibrant center.

No comments:

Post a Comment