Thursday, November 19, 2015

Natalia Anciso


One of the artists presented this week that stood out to me was Natalia Anciso presented by Roxanne Morrison. In general, I love her work and what if focuses on but the one I liked the most is the one with the three officers in full gear pointing a gun at a young boy. This image depicts the militarization of the police force and how innocent of people of color are not safe from them. This is reminiscent of what has happened in the past year in Ferguson and many other cities that have faced unrest due to people of color being targets and the injustice they face. I also chose this because it reminds me of a movie I recently watched in my Latin American Societies class called Burn! In the movie, the native people are treated as if they are all guilty of something. They were innocent people but the dominant forces did not discriminate on who they shot at or imprisoned. This image also reminds me about how people are quick to target a whole group of people with some commonalities even when they are innocent. More specifically, with the Paris attacks in Paris people some people have been quick to blame all Islamic peoples for what some terrorists have carried out. This image for me, not only depicts the militarization of the police force but of how innocent people become targets when they have some commonalities with a certain race, class, religion, etc.

1 comment:

  1. This is no doubt one of my favorites as well! It is aesthetically appealing and the message is strong. In addition to everything you mentioned, I found the "Police Line" barrier as a misleading facade on the issues of society. Flowers represent beauty; so we are looking at this image as though society is perfect. However, if one were to cross the line they would realize the core issues- racism, discrimination, police brutality,etc.

    ReplyDelete