Saturday, November 7, 2015

Week 6 Blog-Carmen


Looking through Carmen's book I stopped at this picture, looked at it for a while and so many thoughts came to my mind. Many of her paintings are composed of memories of her childhood and her days growing up. I picked Cakewalk, 1987. Acrylic on canvas, 36 x 48 inches. Carmen placed herself in this piece, remembering a fundraiser her community had. They were raising money for Mexican Americans; all the community came together for a cause they supported. I really like how the whole communities, young and old, have joined together. There are kids playing around, a beautiful table being set up, and families playing the cake walk game. I also could connect to this piece because like her community, I feel like this with my own community as well. In the Persian Jewish community, togetherness and family are a top priority, and I feel Carmen’s community was like that too when they gathered to raise money for the students to be able to go to University. When there is a cause that needs to be supported, everyone will put whatever he or she is doing down and come help whomever is in need. The strong force of a community is enough to take on anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment