Friday, November 6, 2015

Week 6: Carmen Lomas Garza

    While many of Carmen Lomas Garza’s works are visually appealing and interesting, I was most drawn to the art in her show Homenaje a Frida Kahlo: Día de los Muertos (1978). This was an exhibition she curated in San Francisco at the Galería de la Raza, which was where she met many artists and learned tips of the trade. Out of the two pieces she created for the show, I have decided to discuss her 1978 nicho. The nicho is titled Vida y Muerte/Homage to Frida Kahlo and is an oil on wood box that includes art on the inside. Specifically, I chose this piece because it is representative of the huge success she experienced as a result of the Kahlo exhibit. Also, I think it is awesome that a female artist devoted her time and energy in highlighting the works and life of another fellow female artist. As a feminist, I believe it is important for women to support each other in as many ways possible.
    My favorite elements of her nicho are the bright colors, the sneaky intertwining of Frida’s eyebrows as the bird’s wings, and the small painting of the baby coming out of the orchid. I also appreciated how Garza managed to incorporate personal details of Frida Kahlo’s difficult life in a delicate way. It is not easy to discuss a miscarriage in a way that is respectful, so I think that the small reference to it in the form of a flower is very appropriate. Also, this art work reminds me of a nicho that my uncle created for me when I was born. My uncle is a mixed-media artist that takes old crates and scrap wood pieces and creates altars and small boxes in honor or dedication for certain people. When I was baptized, he presented me with a nicho that includes a picture of me, a picture of La Virgen de Guadalupe, and other news clippings, photographs, words of prayer, and other elements. To this day, it is displayed in my room because I think it is extremely creative and I am appreciate of the time he took to design it. I feel a personal connection to Garza now because we both have nichos to call our own.

2 comments:

  1. This was also my favorite artwork from Carmen Lomas Garza. I really like how she made Frida Kahlo well known through one exhibition she curated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,

    As I was strolling down the blog, this art work caught my attention because of its visual simplicity. I wanted to know more about the behind story and why you chose this piece. After reading your blog post it was clear that every inch of her nicho is meaningful. You stated the bird’s wings and the orchid, and I noticed that the heart is not misshapen which, in my opinion, represents Garza’s untampered love and appreciation for Frida Kahlo. Her nicho might look simple but that is far from the truth.

    I completely agree with your statement about Garza gracefully incorporating personal events of Frida Kahlo’s life. I believe being settled while including sensitive topics is one of Garza’s best characteristic. Another trait she has, is her ability to connect to the viewers. It is wonderful that you have this collective experience with her because you have your own nicho. I am not able to have that connection with this particular art piece, but I did share an experience with her alters. The art impacts a person much more when they find a little piece of themselves in it.

    ReplyDelete