Saturday, November 14, 2015

Week 7

      The artist that stood out to me was the artist named Marion C. Martinez. The canvas she uses is unique. As explained by our classmate, this artist helps reduce the carbon footprint. She recycles old computers and other devices that contain breadboards. This is what I liked. This made me think of my electrical engineering class in high school. It was difficult to program the breadboard to display my birthday. After I completed the project I tossed it away. To think that there is someone who finds a value in what one individual might consider trash is incredible. The image presented is La Virgen de Guadalupe. We have spent a lot of time discussing this important icon. Many artists invoke their own feelings when drawing this icon. I like how the artist used the actual breadboard wiring to represent the robe La Virgen de Guadalupe wears. It looks like the artist soldered the heart on this circuit. One thing that is different from the classic image is that in this image the hands are a darker shade of brown. The pigmentation on the face is a lighter brown. This shows a similarity between Martinez and other Chicana artists. Chicana artists had symbolism to their own images based on their personal beliefs with this icon. Perhaps the different shade of brown has a hidden message in this particular image.

No comments:

Post a Comment