Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Gonzalez, Celeste

Hello everyone! My name is Celeste Gonzalez and my preferred pronouns are she/her. I am a senior majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Chicana/o Studies. I transferred to UCLA last year as a junior from Santa Rosa Junior College in Sonoma/Napa, where I call home. Since taking my first Chicana/o Studies class last year, I decided to take more classes and further explore this area of study. I found that these classes were helpful in finding a place at UCLA where I felt like I fit in and can be comfortable. Since taking Chicano M136, Censored! Art on Trial, I learned about the power of art and about some Chicanx artists. Through this class I hope so learn more about Chicana and Latina artists, especially because they are unrepresented in the art community. As a Chicana I think having that representation is important so that I can have art that speaks to me and that I can personally understand.

With regards to the readings, I found it interesting that women are systematically excluded from the art world, leaving only white males. The in-class exercise was mind-opening because I noticed that the first artists that come to most peoples minds are men. Although throughout history women have had little access to education and the tools to succeed in art, the female artists who did succeed, even in the 1500s, are not often taught in art history classes. However, since Chicanas are women and minorities, they have harder challenges to break into the art world. In the readings the writer explains that during the Chicano movement only Chicanos were receiving credit for artwork as Chicanas were excluded, although some did break through the barrier. I think that since there are more Chicana artists in the mainstream now, they should be celebrated and taught so that people like myself feel represented and can find sources of art that speaks to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment