Monday, May 7, 2018

Carmen Lomas Garza - Para La Cena

Para La Cena

a piece by Carmen Lomas Garza 
Image result for carmen lomas garza para la cena


      I chose this image by Carmen Lomas Garza because it truly resonated with me and brought back some funny and fond childhood memories. I still remember the first time that I saw one of my Tio's kill a lamb, and with the help of my father and other men in the family, cook it for dinner. I was horrified to know that the chickens, and lambs that roamed my primo's backyard were the same foods that I had eaten for lunch. Now, my brother and I joke about the day and how it was truly a defining moment for us and really taught us more about our cultural roots. 
This image stuck out to me because I found it comforting to know that not only was this piece of art very representative of my cousins and I playing in dresses in a dirt backyard after church, but also that other people who were not connected to me in anyway also shared the same cultural experiences. This image tells a families' story and shares what a typical weekend may have looked like. However, this families story, while unique and important is also very relevant for other families such as mine. Culture is a curious thing, as it connects people on a deep and personal level and can even connect similar childhood memories of tia's and tio's running out to the backyard to help prepare a meal for the family. Carmen's message is deeper than just recalling memories, it is about connecting people to an event that they may have never even experienced and showing us that we are more similar than we all may think. 

- Elise Burgos 

1 comment:

  1. I love how sweet and beautiful this image is. And i think you make a great point about how her art is about more then reflecting on personal memories.

    ReplyDelete