Monday, May 7, 2018

Carmen Lomas Garza


One of the images that stood out to me was “La Curandera”. I really like it because of the way the household is represented. It sort of reminded me of my abuelita’s home growing up. There were always those old pictures handing from the walls with and the cross at the center of the wall that faced the bed. Also, the little altar with the Virgen of Guadalupe and flowers with the picture of some old uncle in his war suit. I feel like this image is a tribute to women spaces, especially the ones familiar to me. I love that it represents a woman healing another woman. The bedroom is filled with everyday life things. It also reminds me of my childhood.  My grandma was this sort of curandera who people came and saw when they needed a “limpia”. I remember she would grab leaves like the woman on the picture and she would perform a whole ritual by lighting up candles and sage. I remember looking at my grandma the way the kid on the picture is. I also like that the image contains a lot of colors, it is a colorful household, yet the colors are subtle, not extremely bright which gives me a sense of calmness and stillness. I really like how this image resembled a very important aspect of our culture that sometimes tends to be stigmatize as evil but in reality it speaks and demonstrates how important the power of healing is in our culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment