Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Judith F. Baca- Tres Generaciones, 1973

In Tres Generacinoes, 1973 by Judith F. Baca, there is something different about each figure, yet they are all similar in a way. They each represent a different generation, such that the grandmother is much older and her look seems more wiser, the mother is still young and demonstrates a worried expression, and Judith F. Baca is a child who is changing from a child to a woman. The clothing that is worn by each of these figures is also a representation of the three generations. For example the grandmother wears a simple conservative dress, the mother wears a more colorful dress, and Judith F. Baca wears fancy colorful dresses with detailed ruffles and embroidered flowers. Although each figure is different, they are all connected together by the style of the drawing. It is as if a flowing river drifts them all apart, while keeping them tied under the same current.

Growing up, I always had a close relationship to my grandmother and mother. I noticed how generation after generation we all shared similar characteristics even though we each grew up in a different time and environment. Just like Judith F. Baca, I too believe that my abuelita had a stronger tie to indigenous roots. Just by looking at her facial features, I was able to see how her eyes, eyebrows, nose, and cheek structure were all unique.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree and see where you are coming from in your bottom statements. I am also very close to my mother and grandmother and when I read your post I started thinking that within my family, we do actually share a lot of common characteristics that I never really though about like eye color or even face shape. It’s also true how as generations pass, time evolves and we begin to see how the time frame and area in which we grow up, truly has one of the greatest influences in determining how we grow up to be. Like you said in your analysis, we see this physically like in facial features. I also very much liked your interpretations of the dresses and how they are all different and represent each female figure in a different way, yet they are all tied in the style in which they are painted. The colors are also very interesting and how the abuela has a much more neutral colored dress while the mom has a more colorful dress, as you pointed out, and then we see the different brighter colors on Judith Baca’s dress. Overall I really related to your bottom statement and really enjoyed the way you interpreted the painting.

    ReplyDelete