Monday, May 21, 2018

Presentation: Barbara Carrasco

After last week’s presentations, I realized that there is larger community of female artist, but more specifically Chicana artist. Some of the presentations really showed me the diversity of styles and backgrounds of Chicana Artist and the movement taking place to increase popularity and real representation of the Chicana Experience. The one that stood out to me the most was the one of Barbara Carrasco, presented by Amy Perez. Just like Amy, I also did my presentation on an artist who we leaned about in class. Though we did learn a lot about Carrasco, I chose this presentation for my blog because I feel that Amy had a lot more to offer as she presented a part from what he have learned in lecture. The image that stood out the most was “L.A. History: A Mexican Perspective, 1981”. Observing this mural more critically and closely, I did not realize how many historical and cultural symbols were in this mural. I also liked this image because, it marks a time of censorship of Chicano and Los Angeles History in favor of the dominant culture. I did not realize which parts and motifs from the mural needed censorship. During Amy’s presentation I did not know that there was a piece of the mural focusing on the camps that were made to house Asian based families during times of war. These little things is what I found fascinating during the presentation, and what I hope to accomplish when it is my turn to present.

No comments:

Post a Comment