Monday, May 21, 2018

Presentation: Camille Rose Garica

I really enjoyed the presentation on Camille Rose Garcia, the work presented was so interesting and unique to what we have been seeing in class. I searched up Camille Rose Garcia and saw some of her books that were mentioned in the presentation and I absolutely loved them. Her depictions of some classic Disney tales are different than what you expect to see from other artists. Her Alice in Wonderland images are especially intriguing, the story is already compelling on its own but these images give an image to better align the story. One book that I caught my attention was the one titled “Tragic Kingdom: The Art of Camille Rose Garcia,” this appears to be a playful twist on Disney’s the Magic Kingdom. Garcia's light-hearted paintings and drawings of the classic cartoon-like characters that we see in Disney tales are designed to depict dark tales of violence, corruption, and greed. The images that stood out to me the most were those representing Snow White. Even the smallest most innocent bunnies or birds had an evil yet endearing tone to them. The seven dwarfs were also shown in many of her depictions of Snow White. The twisted depiction of the evil queen shows her true and malicious intentions within the story itself. What I really liked about Rose Garcia’s images was that even though they were a little gruesome or evil, her color palette seemed to stay within light pastels or just light colors in general. She balances the images by providing them with several colors that are light. Her work is especially relatable in a sense that many of us grew up watching these fairytales or listening to the stories, but I would assume never in this manner, she took something that many people would know and be familiar with and twisted it to her own interest to create a contrast of worlds. Overall I would definitely love to look more into her art and maybe even purchase a book of my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment