Monday, May 21, 2018

Presentation: Kim Bjanes




The presentation that has stood out to me thus far was on Kim Bjanes. Her print work and statement pieces are made for the modern feminist. More than anything what I liked from the get go about Bjanes's work is that she uses phrases that would otherwise be seen as negative stereotypes and turns them into empowering wearable pieces. Relatable, and witty, Bjanes has created pieces to fit even the smallest feminist. Following the presentation, I looked more into her work and found her Etsy store where she sells shirts, stickers, and prints of all kinds of phrases like "Brown, Badass, Bonita", "Greñuda", "Me Vale", and more. These stood out to me the most, and I was almost tempted into buying one of each because A. I'm all for empowerment, B. i grew up being called greñuda as well because of my curly and often knotted hair, and C. because "Me Vale" is one of those coming of age Rock en Español songs that will make anyone want to be a carefree person doing their own thing. I really liked that there is someone out there making art that girls like me can wear and be proud of, and in all sincerity claim to be able to relate to it. Most of all the first thing that comes to mind when i think of Bjanes's work is "rebelde", because girls in this day and age are only just starting to realize they are allowed to speak up, to not conform to status quos, and to be proud of who they are and how they think, and Bjanes celebrates these ideas through her work.

1 comment:

  1. This presentation stood out for me as well! I love that Bjanes reclaimed these negative phrases in a way that is both visually pleasing and empowering! I also really liked how the presenter shared her personal connection to these phrases, as a child growing up with super curly, big, hair. I definitely related in my own experiences as a young girl and a woman, and it sounds like you did too!

    ReplyDelete