Saturday, June 9, 2018

Reflection Post

When I enrolled in this class, I had thought we were only going to be learning about Chicana artists from the past and how they revolutionized art. And then, I quickly realized that Chicana artists are still around, they've always been around, creating art that represents a part of who they are. Not only that, but I have come to appreciate the art that they create! It's been really cool to learn techniques that Chicana artists use in their own art. For example, learning how to draw hands by contour drawing, shading, and using shapes! At first I felt like I didn't really know how to draw hands. I mean, I knew that hands are basically the hardest parts of the body to draw,  and I've tried it before but it never came out right. After practicing some of the techniques that Professor Lopez gave to us, I feel like I've gotten better. I didn't know that I could trust myself by drawing my hand without looking at the paper! Also, I enjoyed how we learned that most muralists paint in blue or brown while also using grids as they begin sketching their pieces on walls. Overall, I believe I have become a more confident artist after taking this class, and I want to thank Professor Lopez for that.  I feel like Professor Lopez created a very welcoming environment for all of us to learn in and it wasn't like a regular art class where everybody is trying to show each other up.

Finally, I want to thank all the Chicanx artists who have come before me, and who are still out there, for continuing to represent our culture, struggles, and triumphs for what they really are. Let's not wait for other people to write/ paint our hxstory for us, but let's show them who we are with resilience en la frente. 

No comments:

Post a Comment