Wednesday, February 19, 2020

2020HernandezJennifer

I was drawn to this particular piece because of the similarity it has to the family tree that I have chosen to put on my artbook for class. Now that I am a mom, I start to really think about the things my mom did and/or does for me as her child. The family tree and the piece “Stories Your Mother Never Told You”  could also send misconceptions to the audience but to me, I start to think of the things that I would never share with my daughters. The reason that I would hold all the stories of my own personal life is because of the fear I have of my own daughters and their misconception of my war stories. I am overwhelmed with the amount of misconception that people already see when they look at me and my life but I choose not to let it affect me. However, if that person looking at me and judging is any one of my daughters then things change drastically. I question myself and my life. This art piece makes me think about the stories I have to share with my children. The two sides of the story that I believe is in everything. Do I tell them everything and let them judge me themselves or do I not say a word and one day they find out from someone else? Would they even believe anything I said after that point? It is sad that I am even put into a position where I have to care so much about my past actions. Life is hard but reading about these women gives me hope that I can express myself so that I don’t have to bottle things inside.
Celia Alvarez Muñoz, Stories Your Mother Never Told You, 2002. Mixed media installation. Mexic-Arte Museum, Austin, Texas. The scrolls allowed visitors to record personal recollections.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    I find your post to be very thoughtful. It made me think about what I would want to tell my future children. I have never thought about hiding some stories from them, and I don't think you should either. Your past has made you the successful person you are today. All our journeys are different. Your daughters will not judge your war stories. Instead, they will view you as someone who has overcome so much and still gives strength each day. My mother tells my sister and I her protest-stories all the time, and how she was on a wanted poster for fighting against the government's injustice. This makes me respect my mother even more because she stood up for her beliefs. Do not bottle things up. Your daughters will respect you even more after sharing your past with them. No matter what those past events might be, they do NOT define you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind motivating words. I really appreciate that coming from an outside view. I never imagined being able to share what I had been through while attending UCLA. Somehow or another, I have shared some of my "war stories" more than I can count now. Thank you again.

      Delete