Thursday, February 20, 2020

Maciel Aldo

Hello,

My name is Aldo Maciel. I am a fourth year Political Science major who transferred to UCLA from San Diego City College. My relevant background to this course would be my heritage, as both my parents are Mexican and I have spent most of my life in the San Diego-Tijuana metropolitan region. I am fluent in Spanish. My main research interest would be to investigate the implementation of political theory in government and how specific histories of states affect the material conditions that heavily influences a state's decisions.

The readings really shed a light in the lack of attention that is paid towards Chicana artists in the larger Latin American art world. In "Conditions for Producing Chicana Art" by Sybil Venegas I was better able to understand the role of institutionalized sexism has played in the typically male dominated Latin American world and how this institutionalized sexism has heavily discouraged female artists from becoming prominent voices in their craft. With this in mind, a question I would like to pose is how an artist like Frida Kahlo has cemented her legacy as one of the most prominent artists in the Latin American canon, despite the institutionalized sexism which hindered her path.

No comments:

Post a Comment