Friday, February 7, 2020

Week 5: Carmen Lomas Garza

Image result for carmen lomas garza

Part of what makes Garza's work so captivating is her use of color to
enhance the narrative she's telling. As I've been looking through her work,
I feel as though the vibrant colors really help convey memory. The colors
are almost reminiscent of what it feels to look at film photography in a way.
Which is really special, because when you look at 35mm film, you
feel this sense of nostalgia, so the fact that Garza's art has captured this
concept is amazing. As a photographer, looking at Garza's work has
really made me re-think the colors that I implement in my photographs.
I want to get to a point where I can capture color this beautifully.
In this scene, I really love the fact that Garza has chosen to portray
this act of baking and cooking as something that everyone in the family
does. It's not a gendered activity, but rather a familial one that everyone
participates in. I love how at the far left, you have a girl holding onto the
chair, as if she's waiting for her parents to give her a piece to try. The
way Garza adorns the background is equally as special. If you're Latinx
you've definitely been to a home that looks similar to this one. The fact
that Garza can capture all of the little things so well, without missing
a detail is what makes her work so special. From the floral decorations
on the cabinet space, to the calendar with a pyramid on it. Garza truly
captures the essence of family and what it feels like to be at home.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your insight on the fact that making tamales is not a gendered activity.

    ReplyDelete