Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Week 7: Arlette Lucero

The artist I chose to research on is Arlette Lucero. Her artwork poetically connects to desires, expressions, and feelings from experiences in culture and within the community. A compelling aspect of her artwork that stood out to me is the way she represents women in some of  her artwork. In some of her pieces, there are women displayed with long and beautiful hair. Not only that, but Lucero tends to depict these women with beautiful hair as being connected to nature in some way which brings me the idea of finding yourself to synchronize with the world.
Growing up, my parents prohibited me from cutting my hair. They made sure that I had long and healthy hair (I still don't know the reason as to why). My parents wanted my hair to be as natural as possible so I was not allowed to dye my hair either. Therefore, I grew up admiring my own hair and making sure that I took care of it. A role model of mine was my mother. She had long straight black healthy hair. Even though my hair is brown, and not black, I admire Lucero's artwork because it shows how hair can be used as a tool for empowerment and identity. I say identity because in my past school years many friends have encouraged me to dye my hair a certain color, but it is my choice to keep it the way I want to because it represents who I am as a person. With my hair, I am satisfied enough to become one with what I have.

Image result for young chicana arlette lucero

No comments:

Post a Comment