Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Week 7 Blog: Judy Baca "Great Wall of Los Angeles"

     I will be doing my presentation and paper on the artist known as Judith Baca, or more famously known as just Judy Baca. Just some really quick background information on her, she is an American Chicana artist and activist. She is actually a professor here at the University of California Los Angeles in the Chicano/Chicana department. Now let us look at one of the images I will be displaying in my presentation. One of her art creations I will be focusing on is called the Great Wall of Los Angeles. This piece of art is a mural that essentially depicts the history of California as seen through the lens/eyes of minorities and women in many connected panels that stretch along a long horizontal wall. I will not get into too much detail about the picture and it's exact meaning because I want to save that for the presentation and paper but I will say it does not just cover the history of Mexican American's experience in California but covers various other ethnic minorities and their historical experience of living in California throughout the years. This famous mural can be located in San Fernando Valley on Coldwater Canyon Avenue between Oxnard Street and Burbank Boulevard and the eastern edge of the valley college. With all this being said I chose this mural to be one of the three images I presented on because as a California native who has never lived anywhere else in my life, I think it is really important to highlight the historical experiences of minorities living in the state and this mural emphasizes and sheds light to this. Also, the various colors used in the mural and the vibrancy within in this mural really caught my attention, so I am excited to be able to expand on this mural with you and the class!
Great Wall of Los Angeles2.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment