Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Week 7: Cristina Cardenas


The artist I chose to present on is, Cristina Cardenas. She is a Mexican painter and muralist that is now based in Tucson, Arizona for many years now. Her art has been displayed in numerous museums including the SMoCA and the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary art. One of the reasons why I chose to write about her is because she incorporates a lot of women empowerment within her art as well as makes direct connections to her Mexican roots. This can be clearly shown in her mural displayed in Tucson, Arizona. This mural really shows Cristina's strong ties to Mexico by incorporating folklorico dancers, traditional pinatas, pre-columbian symbols, and even pays tribute to field workers. I was immediately drawn in by the numerous bright colors used throughout the mural and the stain glass like design. It really reminded me of church windows because of the style Cristina used to create it. It is beautiful and has so many details that can be interpreted differently by the viewers. One thing I did notice while looking through a lot of Cristina's artwork is that she uses a lot of pre-columbian symbols that are not always noticeable when quickly glancing at her art. I was really fascinated by all of her art I was able to find however it has been difficult to find information on the names and dates of her artwork. Hopefully I am able to find more information on them because they are absolutely beautiful and I would love to see more of Cristina's work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment