Sunday, September 19, 2021

Beemer, Brianna (Bri)

Hi my name is Brianna (Bri) Beemer. My pronouns are she/her. I am a 3rd year World Arts and Cultures major and will be adding a minor in Film, Television, and Digital Media Studies this fall. My interest in this class comes from an Art History class that I took as a freshman and enjoyed, and the fact that I wanted to take online classes. 

 


 

What I found interesting from the first reading “Why Have There Been No Great Women Artists” is the role that narrative plays within the mythologizing of the “great artists.” The discussion art historians and their biographies of famous artists shows how they almost create a super-hero origin story of how an artist got their powers (or genius.) This methodology has a highly individualized focus that highlights the disadvantages that male artists overcame to achieve greatness and de-emphasizes the advantages that they have due to sex, class, or familial connections.

 

What I found interesting about “Conditions for Producing Chicana Art” is that it utilized a more socio-cultural framework than an art historical-analytical one. I was expecting there to be more of a connection between the conditions and how that impacted what kind of art was produced by Chicana artists.

 

The art piece I was most drawn to from “Chicana Printmakers” is the “Self-Portrait” by Barbara Carrasco on page 19. It caught my eye because it looked similar to the Ancient Egyptian art style but upon closer inspection, it was not as similar as I initially thought. My interpretation of her self-portrait is that she as an artist wants to use her paintbrush for creative expression, but must fight against the more utilitarian paint roller that is trying to cover her up. I would be interested to know if this paintbrush vs. paint roller depiction is related to the practice of cities painting over murals.

No comments:

Post a Comment