Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Lucero, Dulce

Hello everyone! My name is Dulce Lucero, my pronouns are she/her/hers. I am a fourth-year undergraduate student, first-generation, majoring in Communication Studies. I come from a family of ten and surprisingly enough I am the youngest child. We settled in the beautiful desert in the City of Coachella, known more famously for the music and arts festival. 

After undergrad, I am hoping to start a nonprofit to help students in my hometown pursue higher education, whether that is with financial help, finding resources, help with applications, anything that involves an interest in higher education. I am a strong believer that our community deserves to reach those opportunities that are displaced because of the marginality that we experience. There is a large number of immigrants in the City of Coachella, there is always a need to help others and open doors to opportunities that they might feel are unattainable.  For this reason, I want to go beyond helping students and also help parents as well. I want to hold seminars to provide information on how to prioritize, budget, invest, and save. I would also like to have resources to point them in the right direction if they are experiencing housing or food insecurity. I know that growing up it would have meant the world for my family and me to have someone or a place to go to for resources. I want to be able to provide that for my community. It is for these reasons and many others that I am interested in researching how people of color have been displaced in various ways. Combined with my interest in art especially because of how to predominate it is in the City of Coachella I would like to gain some knowledge from this class about the impact of Chicanx artists and how they have informed us about issues in our community through art.

No comments:

Post a Comment