Sunday, September 26, 2021

Zaragoza, Felitxa

 

Hello everyone! My name is Felitxa Zaragoza and my pronouns are she/her/hers. I am a senior, second-year transfer student studying Communications. I was born and raised in the South Bay, Redondo Beach area, but both of my parents are from Mexico. I am a middle child, but the mother of an 11-year-old chihuahua who has a bigger personality than me. I hope to one day become a guidance counselor at a local community college that helps low-income, first-generation students like myself, realize that they are able to earn a degree and accomplish their goals. If it wasn't for the support I received at my CC, I would have never transferred as effectively as I did. However, I am also interested in working in Human Resources to ensure equal pay and resolve issues for POC in the workplace. Both career goals seem a bit different, but in the end, I desire to help others reach their potential. 

I am a Mexican-American student who hopes to advance their knowledge of art specifically in our own culture. I grew up in Los Angeles and I have always felt as if I were home anywhere in the city. Yet, I feel as if I know very basic knowledge about my culture. I know famous artists like Frida Kahlo and Dali, but I want to learn more about artists who may not be so common in my area. I decided to take this course because I have taken Chincao/a 113, where I learned about Dia de Los Muertos and I felt drawn to my culture. I'm hoping that this course makes me feel the same, if not more, empowered to learn about the various content and artists across the Latinx community. I am very excited for this course this quarter as it makes the return to campus much more exciting, even through zoom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment