Monday, October 11, 2021

Arroyo, Cristina (Week 3)

 
Virgen De Guadalupe Virgen María póster de 24 X 36 Pulgadas de santos  católicos, actos,, | eBay

My memories of La Virgen de Guadalupe come early on in my childhood. Ever since I could remember her image was displayed in my home, at the homes of relatives, in church, on jewelry, on blankets, and now even on the necklace that I have worn for the past 10 years. Her symbol and significance in my Mexican family's culture has been very prominent in both our most difficult and happiest of times. I have vivid memories of my mom telling me when my father was detained by ICE to pray to her and other saints for his safe return. Even more vividly I remember my family visiting the cathedral in Los Angeles after his last immigration court date when the judge granted him his worker's permit indefinitely until he became a resident. Specifically, to give her thanks. 

On a lighter note, I also grew up watching La Rosa De Guadalupe throughout my childhood. The way a novela-like plot seems to be solved fluently by the help of a white rose and La Virgen’s help can be very easy to binge watch. However, it is important to note the undeal standards the image and culture that surrounds La Virgen can impose on young women. I do appreciate and respect her still, I still believe in Catholicism, but on my own terms and interpretations. 

I have grown to acknowledge the importance of my own interpretation of faith and religion in contrast to that of traditional interpretations. I still wear her on my neck, I still pray to her for help and guidance, but in my own way and I think that independence is part of what she symbolizes to me. It’s always interesting to see how everyone has similar, yet completely different recollections of how her symbol has played a role in their lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment