Monday, October 25, 2021

Lopez, Hellen (Week 5)

    The image that stood out most to me from Carmen Lomas Garza was Sandia/Watermelon from 1986. This image is located on page 50, figure 34 from Cortez’s text. When I first looked at this image, I was reminded of home. As a child, and even now with my younger brother, my family continues to do this on days likes these. Even though, now with my brother, it is a little different than it was before. When I was younger, my family and I would go outside to let us play while they cut a watermelon for us on hot summer days. We would invite other neighbors over or even some family members to come to our home. My family would only offer watermelon since that was what we were all doing. The watermelon would always finish, and everyone always had a great time. This image depicts some of the Chicanx culture and similarity that brings us together. Also, the image demonstrates the unity of the family as well roles each person is taking in the image.


    Nonetheless, in the text, Cortez indicates how this image represents the role of the parents and their presence. For example, the grandmother is given respect.  She is given a slice of watermelon from who is assumed to be her grandson. She is seated on the swing relaxing and not doing anything to make her tired. Most older people in the Chicanx culture are often honored for their hard work and sacrifices. Here, the grandmother’s importance is depicted. In addition, the father is also cutting the watermelon as the mother sits and eats it. This gives an understanding of who has control as the father is given it. Though the image demonstrates a sentimental reaction, it is detailed to demonstrate other main parts of the Chicanx culture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment