Sunday, October 17, 2021

Torres, Sarahy (Week 4)

 



        Domesticana is resisting the subjugation of women in the domestic sphere. For example, women being told to stay in the kitchen, have children and stay at home. For my personal image, I decided to post a picture of a sticker I have on my laptop. I bought this ticket from a small business owner in Ventura, CA. The small business owner is a Chicana who I first met as a boys and girls club advisor in middle school. Soon, she was having her own business in downtown Ventura. She sells Mexican items so the people from the city can buy them. I feel a sense of belonging in the store because it is filled with cultural items in my household. The business owner's transition is inspiring because she went from working for someone to being her own boss. 


        The sticker shown below represents women's empowerment and cultural relevance to being a Chicana. The "we can do it" symbol is mostly used by white women empowerment but the skull makes it different. The skull reminds me of Dia de Los Muertos which feels like home to me. I feel like I relate to the sticker because it resembles my culture. Whenever I see the sticker I feel motivated to continue my education and career path. To achieve my dreams of becoming an educator in my community. 


                    My mother is someone who I see that rejected the domesticana culture. It is frowned upon to be a single mother especially after divorcing and getting another partner. She stayed a single mother and worked to provide for my siblings and me. She went against the stereotypes of being a stay-at-home mom and being obedient to her partner. She is a strong, independent woman who I admire. She taught me to always stand up for myself and be independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment