Monday, November 22, 2021

Argueza, Leigh Anne (Wk. 9-Artist Presentation)

    The second and third wave of presentations last week were excellent, as to be expected. I was particularly infatuated by the presentation on the muralist Irene Perez. Out of the three pieces that were displayed, I was excited to see the MaestraPeace Mural from San Fransisco’s Women’s Center Building exhibited on 18th Street in the Mission District. I think the complexity and the depth of the MaestraPeace mural was executed beautifully with its vibrant color scheme and natural grandeur of the physical architecture. The collective of muralists who were part of the project that included Irene Perez contributed a piece of work that was truly unique and symbolic of the contributions of women globally and through a historical chronicle.
    It is a piece I am familiar with as I spent my time in the Mission District one afternoon, and it is mural that has left an enormous impression that deserves far more recognition than passing pedestrians. However, I do believe that the mural has been expanded upon over the years, which just adds to its overwhelming impact on the audience. I look forward to the day I get to see it in person to experience the newest additions to the exterior of the building. I think that Irene Perez’s contribution to the muralists in the United States and internationally provides a sense of cultural pride in her Mexican/Chicanx heritage as an artist but also a woman who celebrates her uniqueness and diversity in such a positive, vivid way. It really is an astonishing mural, and I recommend anyone who is interested in her work or just artwork in general who is in the city to walk around the building and take it in. The pictures of the MaestraPeace Mural pale in comparison to the real experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment