Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Sabanero, Angela (Week 8)

The presentation that I am choosing to write this blog about is on Brenda Barrios. She was presented to the class by Armando Perez. Armando, if you're reading this I really enjoyed your presentation and your artist. I'm not sure if you chose Brenda Barrios randomly off the list we were provided with, or if you actually did a good amount of research before coming to your choice in artist. However you did it, I really enjoyed that you were able to show us the art that Brenda has created because it is art that relates to today and the current states of the world. This aspect of the art made it more enjoyable and personal to me because I feel that because I can relate, it is something that is able to connect me to a complete stranger and countless others who are currently experiencing these novelties. In particular, her piece, Vaccines for the Community was one that contained a sense of relatedness. Similar to today, like in San Bernardino (as shown in her piece), there are many cities or locations where residents choose not to get the COVID vaccine. In general, I can appreciate the fact that she creates activist art. Her murals and banners placed on widely viewed areas such as hospitals bring attention to the cause. This in turn can garner increased awareness whose support would be highly valued on the road to change. Additionally, her art's reach to London is an especially unique experience that I found very interesting. This level of exposure is also important in creating change.


No comments:

Post a Comment