Sunday, November 14, 2021

Week 8 - Artist Presentations

 I really enjoyed seeing all of the presentations this week on my peer's artists. I think the one that stood out to me the most was Armando Perez's presentation on Brenda Barrios. I feel that her art was the one that most caught my eye because of the messages that it advocated. I was also impressed by her background, being able to juggle being in school and still being able to create art is so admirable. Especially since it is art that is so impactful and needed during this time. The idea of intersectionality comes to mind when I think of this artist. She, not only is part of a marginalized group because she is a Chicana, but also because she is a woman and has a disability. I think it is amazing that she talks about her background and her own challenges in her interviews. Just like with her art she is able to bring awareness to marginalized groups with just her own story. My favorite artwork that was presented was "Essential Workers-- Pay them Hazard Pay" because of the message that the work advocated. I also especially liked the way that Barrios composed the image and the colors that she used. I think this image connected the most with me because I have family members who work as farmers, janitors, etc. I think that all of these jobs are essential and especially in with the pandemic it is important to advocate the significance of these jobs. It is so easy for others to look at these jobs and think that the people working them are uneducated or unmotivated. There is such a stigma on whether or not jobs like these should pay a living wage, and I think that this is so absurd and demeaning. I admire her work so much to be putting these messages out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment