Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Presentation 2: Ester Hernandez


The presentation that I found the most interesting was Rafael’s presentation on Ester Hernandez. First off, I thought his presentation was well spoken and I was able to hear all the information that he had at hand. All three of Ester Hernandez’s images that were presented I found very fascinating and the purpose or meanings of these images are captivating. The image La Virgen de las Calles (2001), by Ester Hernandez, was the image that stood out to me the most. In translation, La Virgen de las Calles translates to the Virgen of the streets. Near a lot the intersections by my house I see and witness many people working hard to sell flowers or fruits to people in their cars just so they can survive and make a living. Often times I see kids helping out their parents to sell the flowers but I never really think about why they are there. It wasn’t until Rafa pointed out that the younger children will help increase sales due to appealing to emotion and also the kids are there because they have nowhere else to go and no one else can watch them do to financial struggles. In the image, the lady is wearing a U.S.A crewneck or pullover, showing her American pride and striving to attain the American dream. Also, the bucket holding the flowers is labeled “futura” or future which I interpreted it as this job of selling flowers is her future, or that selling these flowers will help her future become brighter and she will now have a chance in the world. Also, I had a pair of Nikes just like the ones La Virgen de las Calles is wearing so I thought that was fascinating. Overall, I enjoyed Rafa’s presentation on Ester Hernandez and his choice of images and interpretations were on point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment