Monday, February 10, 2020

Week 5- Carmen Lomas Garza

Carmen Lomas Garza’s 2003 work, Tamalada, is one that stood out to me right off the bat. I came into this course fully expecting that I had absolutely no familiarity with the Chicana Artists that we would soon discuss (besides the mainstream ones like Frida Kahlo), but I was very pleasantly surprised to instantly recognize this piece by Lomas Garza from my early childhood. Though I cannot pinpoint exactly where or how this image was ingrained in my mind from an early age, it’s impact and meaning for me and other Mexicans/ Latinos is unquestionable. This image looks nearly identical to my grandma, Mami Esther’s kitchen, especially around the holidays. To me, this image is a perfect representation of the core family family value in Mexican culture. Surrounding the unifying role of food, the family in the photo working on the tamales is of all ages and inclusive of both men and women. The subtlety of the grandma pivoted away from the rest of her family and doing her own thing reminds me of my grandma’s matriarchal role in our family, making sure that everything is being done right. Additionally, the tiled floor, the image of The Last Supper and the mercado calendar are a perfect representation of Mami Esther’s kitchen. The cantarito by the stovetop, likely filled with some type of atole, and the molcajete to grind up the chiles for the chili paste are so reminiscent of the amazing flavors classic in the Mexican taste pallet. This image really succeeds in making me want to teleport to my grandma’s kitchen or to Mexico and be surrounded by this feeling of warmth, a content, the holiday spirit, and my family. I think that’s what a lot of Carmen Lomas Garza’s work is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment